Information related to Canada for residents of Japan.

Passport for non-Japanese newborns

There is a catch-22 for newborn Canadian citizens in Japan:

  1. Normally you need to get a citizenship certificate, which can take more than a year, to order a passport.
  2. Japan requires a citizenship certificate or a passport within 60 days of birth in order to acquire a residence status.

To solve this, it is possible to get a two-year temporary passport (Twitter) for the child.


Many thanks to the following users for writing this article: