Obtaining a Japanese passport for a child

From RetireWiki.jp
Jump to navigation Jump to search

If you have a child who has Japanese nationality, a Japanese child passport (5-year duration) can be obtained at your local passport centre. Document requirements should be checked in advance, but will probably include:

  1. Passport application form
  2. 45mm X 35mm photo (see this guide (PDF)🇯🇵 for details)
  3. Copy of family register
  4. Personal stamp used by the family
  5. ID such as Driver’s License for the parent submitting the application
  6. If your child has a foreign surname, the foreign parent’s passport as evidence of how the surname is rendered in English[1]
  7. 6,000 yen processing and issuance fee

It is not necessary for the child to be present when the application is submitted. However, if the child is not present upon submission, the child will need to be present for collection so that the passport officials can verify that the photo is a true likeness.

Please also be aware of this important information regarding the prevention of possible complications in cases where one parent might not consent to the child obtaining a passport.


Many thanks to the following RetireWiki.jp users for writing this article:



  1. The passport office may additionally ask how the first name should be rendered in English, and may or may not require evidence of this if the rendering differs from a direct transliteration.